The important UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India are scattered throughout the country: North, South, East & West. In North India, the UNESCO sites are found in Rajasthan, Gujarat, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh. In Central India, UNESCO World Heritage Sites are found in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. The UNESCO World Heritage Sites in South India are Karnataka, Goa, Kerala & Tamil Nadu. In East & Northeast India, the UNESCO World Heritage Sites are found in Bihar, West Bengal and Sikkim.
The important Heritage Sites in North India are:
- Rajasthan : Hill Forts of Rajasthan (Chittor Fort, Kumbhalgarh Fort, Ranthambore Fort, Gagron Fort, Amer Fort, Jaisalmer Fort) and Keoladeo National Park.
- Gujarat : Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park, the city of Ahmedabad, Rani-ki-Vav (Queen’s Stepwell).
- Chandigarh : Capitol Complex.
- Himachal Pradesh : Kalka-Shimla Toy Train, Great Himalayan National Park.
- Uttarakhand : Valley of Flowers, Nanda Devi National Park.
- Uttar Pradesh : Taj Mahal (Agra), Fatehpur Sikri (near Agra), Agra Fort.
The important Heritage Sites in Central India are :
- Madhya Pradesh : Khajuraho Group of Monuments, Buddhist monuments at Sanchi & Rock shelters at Bhimbetka.
- Maharashtra : Ajanta & Ellora Caves, Elephanta Caves, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Kailasa Temple & The Victorian and Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai.
The important Heritage Sites in South India are :
- Karnataka : Hampi Group of Monuments, Pattadakal Group of Monuments.
- Goa : Churches & Convents of Goa (Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, Se Cathedral, Basilica of Bom Jesus, Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assisi, Chapel of Santa Catarina, Church of St. Augustine, Goa, St. Cajetan Church).
- Kerala : Mattancherry Palace, Ernakulam.
- Tamil Nadu : Great Living Chola Temples (Airavatesvara Temple, Brihadeeswarar Temple, Brihadisvara Temple, Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram, Nilgiri Mountain Railway, Western Ghats).
The important Heritage Sites in East & Northeast India are :
- Bihar : Mahabodhi Temples Complex, Site of Nalanda Mahavihara,
- West Bengal : Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (Toy Train), Sunderbans.
- Sikkim : Khangchendzonga National Park.